FedEx Kinko's has a great new commercial. If you haven't seen it, you'll want check it out before reading the rest of the post. It's very funny, especially if you've had bad team experiences in the office before. I think most people have.
The main character in the commercial does a great job diagnosing each person's weakness. However, it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that these people are losers. They're not. They're just freaks.
They need to find situations that take the spotlight off their weaknesses, and illuminate their strengths instead. Let me offer a few job ideas for each person along with a suggestion about the strength that matches their weakness.
- Jeff - Keeps feeding him old information. He likes the past. (Historian, Museum Curator)
- Dean - Not living up to his resume. He's good at selling himself. (Marketing, Public Relations)
- Sue - Waffling. She's flexible and open-minded. (Politician, Mediator)
- Jerome - Talks a big game but does nothing. He likes to talk. (Talk Show Host, Spokesperson)
- Rick - Folds under pressure. He enjoys peace and tranquility. (Monk, Yoga Instructor, Gardener)
- Ted - Thinks everyone's out to get him. He's vigilant. (Disaster Planning, Emergency Management)
I'm sure there are many more possibilities, but this is a good start. If you have any job/strength ideas for our FedEx folks, please post a comment. I'd love to hear from you.